So I have a really easy and quick recipe for you guys today. After posting a photo of the coconut shrimp I made for Troy and myself last week, I had quite a few requests for the recipe. So here it is!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
1 lb Jumbo Shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 c. Puffed Brown Rice Cereal (or Rice Krispies)
1 1/2 c. Unsweetened, Shredded Coconut
2 Egg Whites
1/3 c. Coconut Oil
1. Using a sharp knife, butterfly shrimp and pat dry with a paper towel.
2. Use a rolling pin or food processor, crush the rice cereal until it resembles bread crumbs.
3. Combine cereal and coconut in a shallow bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste.
4. With an electric hand mixer, blend the egg whites until they have soft peaks. About 2 minutes.
5. Heat the oil in a cast iron pan or large saute pan.
6. Dip the shrimp, one by one, into the egg whites, followed by the coconut mixture. Make sure to coat the shrimp well with the coconut.
7. Pan fry the shrimp until golden brown and flip to cook the opposite side about 3 minutes per side.
8. Drain cooked shrimp on paper towels to absorb excess oil.
We had ours on a bed of spinach and a drizzle of a sweet chili sauce on top!